The food pyramid is probably the best source for the well-balanced meal plan. A healthy diet includes servings of the following:
- Grains. Grains include pasta, rice, bread, and cereals. Baked goods, such as muffins and donuts, should only be eaten occasionally.
- Vegetables & Fruits. Most vegetables and fruits are low in fat, thereby making them a valuable part of your healthy diet. Aside from that, they also have fiber, vitamins, and minerals that all help in our bodily functions. Bear in mind that it’s best to serve them fresh or steamed. Make sure that you skip calorie-laden toppings like butter and mayonnaise (except on occasion).
- Dairy Products. Be wise in choosing dairy products. Always opt for those that are low in fat or fat-free.
- Meat, Fish, Poultry, Eggs, Dry Beans, and Nuts. When buying cuts of meats, choose the lean ones (the ones with the word “round” or “loin” in their names). The best way to cook pork, beef, lamb, poultry, fish, and veal is to broil or bake them. Before cooking, make sure that you remove any visible fat or skin and season with herbs and spices.
- Sweets, fats, and oils should only be used sparingly. It’s important to note that no diet should completely eliminate one food group. Sweets, fats, and oil can be added to your diet but only moderately.
The daily calories you need depend primarily on your age, gender, body type, and level of activity. In general, active children ages 2 to 8 years old will need 1,400 to 2,000 calories per day. Active teenage girls and women need 2,200 calories per day without weight gain. Active teenage boys and men, on the other hand, need to consume about 3,000 calories per day for weight maintenance. People leading a sedentary lifestyle will need to drop their calories by 400 to 600 calories per day.
While it’s not an act of “eating”, exercise is part of a healthy diet. Choose an exercise that suits you. You can start by walking or jogging 30 minutes a day.
Living a healthy lifestyle with proper diet and exercise can go a long way. It helps in preventing various lifestyle diseases like hypertension or diabetes. Aside from that, it also helps you look good and feel good.
Being healthy can also help when it comes to insurance. Sungate Insurance offers health insurance products to the residents of Florida at a competitive price. Some of our carriers may give discounts to those who lead a healthy lifestyle. Get a free quote from us now and discuss your options with us. Call us at (407) 878-7979 or visit us today.